Skip to main content

Where to buy skateboard equipment in Kenya


Two skateboarders hold RICTA skateboarding wheels 51mm Mark Appleyard.
Photo credit: Sam Karugu
George and Ben at Xone skateshop 2012
Right to left

The first thing you’re going to have to do before venturing into Skateboarding; Is gathering equipment trucks, bearings, wheels, bushings, grip tape, hardware(screws), raisers (optional) and washers(optional). Spare parts are also crucial.

Equipment? Where to get it? Well for starters Xone Skateshop is a one-stop shop for roller blading and skateboarding equipment. It was in Muindi Mbingu Shopping centre- 1st floor. It had everything you name it; but unfortunately it’s no more. I’m still using some equipment I bought there such as screws and wheels. All is not lost though I’ll tell you where you need to go. On the contrary, David - the stakeholder of the shop still has things he’s selling, use the contacts section.

BADWOOD Skateshop I’ve neither visited nor bought anything from there. But in future I definitely will.  They possess mostly equipment from the company Element. But Leo Kilel told me their equipment is good quality. Currently, it’s not functional.

Another place I recommend is not really a Skateshop but a person Shaolin X a.k.a Daniel Gluche (same name on facebook). In short, Gluche has everything from Skateboarding equipment to apparel namely shirts, wheels, decks (available upon order) and trucks. I used a SBC special edition deck; saying it’s amazing is an understatement. Since it was not only light as a feather, it was durable. So what are you waiting for?  grab a deck from him, you won’t regret it.

In addition, I heard of Numbskull Skateboarding. Now this is shrouded in mystery but in my future articles I will give a longer review of each and every place to get equipment. According to their facebook page they also sell element equipment such as decks.

Arap skate distribution is yet another company that can supply you with equipment. On the other hand, it has not officially started its primary objective. But soon it will be operational.


A photo showing a variety of skateboards by 254 skateboards.
Photo credit:Adam
Gif credit: Shuyin
Adam, I recently talked to him. He also sells equipment too. He has decks, trucks(crash), blank wheels of various sizes among other things. This month or the next I will be buying equipment from him. Likewise, JB also has equipment Vega skateboard decks. Not sure, if he sells other stuff.

Equipment sold by Saga Yard. On photo wheels, trucks, hardware, T-tool, raisers. They also sell other equipment like skateboard decks.
Photo credit: Saga Yard
Gif credit: Shuyin
A rather new one is Saga Yard. They send me a friend request recently on facebook. According to their twitter handle @saga254 “Dealers in sport ware accessories. Focused in skateboarding and the community around it. giving you the edge out in the streets”. I don’t know much about them, give them a call and ask around if someone has bought something from them.

Additionally, you can get equipment from Livu, who's back from China after completing his studies. He calls his business “Wanderer skateshop” I’ll leave his contacts in the contact section. Though focus on requesting skateboarder equipment, apparel and shoes. He’ll have them shipped for you to Kenya. Wanderer skateshop has been closed down.

Did you know you can get the stuff off amazon. There's a company you should check out if you don't want the hurdles of calling or messaging people. Check out vitumob.

Lastly, there is Skate Hustle Apparel. Mostly has apparel for example T-Shirts, Hoodies, Caps and stickers. However, Deecy the C.E.O of Skate Hustle is also sort for shoes apart from apparel and stickers. I got really nice ADIO shoes from him.

Contacts and names of people who can get the equipment you want
XONE SKATESHOP- David Ranja - David Ranja on facebook
BADWOOD Skateshop- Badwood skateshop facebook
Daniel Gluche- Africa skateboarding shop
Numbskull skateboarding- Numbskull on facebook
Skate Hustle Apparel- Skate Hustle on Facebook
Saga yard - Saga yard website
Wanderer skateshop – WandererSkateshop Kenya
Adam – 254 skateboards 254 skateboards facebook

Written by: Shuyin




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix a hole in your shoes DIY

Been skating for a while like me, not really? One thing's for sure your going to go through so many shoes. So obviously you'll get holes in your shoes as you skate. This happens because as you drag your foot up the board it wears out or just by kicking and pushing. You can even know which tricks someone is doing. Remember kickflips and heelflips finish those shoes in a very specific way. Why not extend their life? Saving you some cash. In this article, I'll talk about that. I decided to write this article to share some of the ways. Fighting the wear! and tear! First, Shoe goo,  this is popular among skateboarders. After putting it on your shoes, it feels like rubber. However, after applying it on your shoes. You'll have to wait for a week for it to solidify well. I've never used it before but I'll consider trying it out. My alternatives: I've been looking keenly at other ways of fixing shoes or rather looking for products that can substitute the goo by s

Funscapes skatepark review: The Hub Mall

There's a skate park in Karen. No way! Yes way! :D In the Hub Mall, i discovered an amusement park called Funscapes -- after one of my paintball matches. At that time, the games were fewer and rather expensive. The employees were so friendly to me on that day. Maybe because it was my first time there? I cannot say. After paying a game and losing pretty badly. They invited me to skate out back. It was just an empty place with a tiled concrete floor. I was so exhausted; i couldn't land tricks so well but i managed to show them a thing or two about skateboarding. I didn't know that very spot would be a skate park one day. No wonder they encouraged me to skate there. Funscapes is an amusement park with slot machines with a variety of games to pick from from Time crisis, Armageddon, Batman, the ones for picking prizes that i don't seem to remember at the moment, a jungle gym of some sort en cetera. They have a couple of branches in the Adams Arcade, Two rivers mall, Thik